Professor Guy Marks
- MBBS PhD FRACP FAFPHM
- Head, Respiratory and Environmental Epidemiology Group, WIMR
- Senior Staff Specialist Respiratory Physician, Liverpool Hospital
- Director, Australian Centre for Asthma Monitoring
- NHMRC Practitioner Fellow
- Clinical Professor, University of Sydney
- Conjoint Professor, University of NSW
Major research achivements
- Designed and published widely used quality of life questionnaire for asthma
- Extensive investigations of risk factors for asthma
- Descriptive epidemiology of asthma in Australia
- Principal investigator in Australian arm of Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease study
- Principal investigator in Childhood Asthma Prevention Study
CCRE role & involvement in CCRE projects
My main role in the CCRE is to provide expertise on research methodology by providing advice on study design, analysis and interpretation.
- Marks GB, Dunn SM, Woolcock AJ. A scale for the measurement of quality of life in adults with asthma. J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45:461-74.
- Marks GB, Tovey ER, Green W, Melanie S, Salome CM, Woolcock AJ. House dust mite allergen avoidance: a randomised controlled trial of surface chemical treatment and encasement of bedding. Clin Exp Allergy. 1994; 24:1078-83.
- Marks GB, Bai J, Simpson SE, Sullivan EA, Stewart GJ. Incidence of tuberculosis among a cohort of tuberculin positive refugees in Australia. Re-appraising the estimates of risk. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 1851-54.
- Marks GB, Colquhoun JR, Girgis ST, Hjelmroos-Koski M, Treloar ABA, Hansen P, et al. Thunderstorm outflows preceding epidemics of asthma during spring and summer. Thorax. 2001; 56:468-71.
- Desai AV, Marks GB, Grunstein RR. Does sleep deprivation worsen mild obstructive sleep apnea? [[b||Sleep. 2003]; 26(8):1038-41.
- Elkins MR, Robinson M, Rose BR, Harbour C, Moriarty C, Marks GB, et al. A controlled trial of long-term inhaled hypertonic saline in patients with cystic fibrosis. N Engl J Med. 2006; 354:229-40.
- Marks GB, Mihrshahi S, Kemp AS, Tovey ER, Webb K, Almqvist C, et al. Prevention of asthma during the first five years of life: a randomised controlled trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 118(1):53-61.
- Buist AS, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM, Gillespie S, Burney P, Mannino DM, et al. International variation in the prevalence of COPD (the BOLD Study): a population-based prevalence study. Lancet. 2007; 370:741-50.
- Dobler CC, Crawford ABH, Jelfs PJ, Gilbert GL, Marks GB. Recurrence of tuberculosis in a low incidence setting Eur Respir J. 2009; 33(1):160-67.
- Makarie Rofail L, Wong KK, Unger G, Marks GB, Grunstein RR. Comparison between a single channel nasal airflow device and oximetry for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep. 2009; in press (accepted 27th November 2009).