Professor Peter Cistulli
- Professor of Respiratory Medicine
- Head of the Discipline of Sleep Medicine, University of Sydney
- Head of the Centre for Sleep Health & Research at Royal North Shore Hospital
- Head of the Upper Airway Structure and Function Group at the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research
- a former President of the Australasian Sleep Association
- an active participant in national and international committees and boards, covering the areas of research, conference scientific programs, journal editorial boards, healthcare quality, and philanthropy.
Current research interests
Professor Cistulli is a clinician / researcher with a longstanding interest in the pathophysiology and treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea. His research program is currently focussed on anatomical risk factors for OSA, phenotyping of OSA patients, and the development of novel and targeted therapies for OSA. His work involves strong interdisciplinary collaborations in dentistry and otorhinolaryngology.
Major research achivements
Professor Cistulli’s thematic research programme on orofacial aspects of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea pathophysiology and therapy has earned national and international recognition. He is the recipient of the prestigious Pierre Robin (2006) and Honorary Member (2008) awards from the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine for exceptional original contributions to research and education. His research has been largely funded by NHMRC of Australia. Much of the evidence base supporting the clinical role of oral appliances in the management of obstructive sleep apnoea stems from his team’s original research, some of which has produced commercial outcomes through the development of new technologies.
Professor Cistulli will is part of the executive team in the Centre for Integrated Research and Understanding of Sleep (CIRUS). In addition, he will play a lead role in the “Improving Effectiveness of Treatment” stream, which will focus on developing screening strategies for sleep disorders, improving prediction of response to treatments, improving treatment adherence, developing a new sleep model in specialised clinics, and developing effective inter-professional education in sleep health for undergraduates and health care professionals.
- Mehta A, Qian J, Petocz P, Darendeliler A, Cistulli PA. A Randomized, Controlled Study Of A Mandibular Advancement Splint For Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 2001; 163:1457-1461.
- Gotsopoulos H, Chen C, Qian J, Cistulli PA. Oral Appliance Therapy Improves Symptoms in Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome. A Randomised Controlled Trial. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 2002; 166:743-748.
- Ng AT, Gotsopoulos H, Qian J, Cistulli PA. Effect Of Oral Appliance Therapy On Upper Airway Collapsibility In Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2003; 168:238-241.
- Gotsopoulos H, Kelly JJ, Cistulli PA. Oral Appliance Therapy Reduces Blood Pressure in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Sleep, 2004; 27 (5): 934-941.
- Cistulli PA, Gotsopoulos H, Marklund M, Lowe AA. Treatment of Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Mandibular Repositioning Appliances [Review]. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 2004; 8:443-457.
- Zeng B, Ng AT, Darendeliler MA, Petocz P, Cistulli PA. Use of Flow-Volume Curves To Predict Oral Appliance Treatment Outcome In Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2007; 170: 353-354.
- Lee RWW, Chan AS, Grunstein RR, Cistulli PA. Craniofacial Phenotyping in Obstructive Sleep Apnea – A Novel Quantitative Photographic Approach. Sleep, 2009;32(1):37-45.
- Lee RWW, Petocz P, Prvan T, Chan AS, Grunstein RR, Cistulli PA. Prediction of Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Craniofacial Photographic Analysis. Sleep, 2009;32(1):46-52.
- Deane SA, Cistulli PA, Ng AT, Zeng B, Petocz P, Darendeliler MA. Comparison of Mandibular Advancement Splint and Tongue Stabilising Device in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. A Randomised Controlled Trial. SLEEP, 2009;32(5):648-653.
- Chan ASL, Lee RWW, Srinivasan VK, Darendeliler MA, Grunstein RR, Cistulli PA. Nasopharyngoscopic Evaluation of Oral Appliance Treatment For Obstructive Sleep Apnea. European Respiratory Journal, 2010 (in press)